Saturday, October 4, 2008

Amazing, truly amazing...


Eider and Whitewing Scoters decoys...

So the wind was crappy blowing only between 20 and 30 mph this morning from the west, and my father and I waited until 8:30 this morning until we cast off the marina. Within ten minutes we had twenty decoys, eiders and scoters, set out in a traditional feeding area. The only ducks who even came close were some patch heads (surf scoters), but they weren't interested at all. By noontime we had shifted into a proven channel way and again saw little action. As the wind shifted to the Northwest, we shot across the channel only to watch several small unimportant flocks travel by where we just departed. The highlight of my day was when this freaking black duck flew directly at us and I took it out quickly. It rapidly descended after the first shot, and fell westward to the southeastern point of the island shown in the picture below. Never have I shot a black duck while eider hunting, so I can honestly say again... the limit was satisfied, but then again you are only allowed one black duck...


Southeastern tip - left part of the island...



The Downeast Duckhunter with his limit for the day...

5 comments:

tugboatdude said...

you are having all kinds of luck on the early split.good job!

Downeast Duck Hunter said...

TBD,
If you were to say that I'd have 3 mallards and one black duck thus far, I'd say not a chance... But then again, I'd been wanting to do more fresh water hunting and so far I've been enjoying it... The black duck was a fluke and may never have that happen again... For next Saturday, the Rabid Outdoorman's younger brother will be visiting me for a shot at some eiders and coots in one of my most proven areas...

DEDH

tugboatdude said...

well good luck to you my friend!This Thursday is our opener in Virginia and I can't wait to go sit in the salt marsh and sweat in 80 degree temps.hahaha we are crazy after all.

Downeast Duck Hunter said...

80 degrees!!! I don't think we hit 80 degrees this summer in Downeast Maine!!! It was 41 degrees this morning and is supposed to get to the mid-50's...

Best of luck in your opener and make sure you post your good work...

DEDH

Rabid Outdoorsman said...

DEDH . . . nice job buddy! Hope you and Diesel have a great time on Saturday. I "think" I may try and hit some fresh water around my way so I can go out and try the archery thing in the afternoon . . . good luck to you guys and BE SAFE!